Biography of H.E. Rémi Maréchaux, Ambassador of France to Kenya [fr]
Mr Maréchaux was born in Paris on 25th May 1967.
He is married, with four children.
He speaks fluent english and swahili.
He holds a Bachelor in History from the University of Paris I (1989) and a diploma from Sciences Po Paris (1989) as well a master’s degree in International Relations (University of Paris I, 1991).
He studied kiswahili at the National Institute for Oriental Languages and Civilisations (INALCO) in Paris.
- 2013-2016: Ambassador of France to Kenya and Somalia
- 2010-2013: Director of Strategy, General Directory for External Security (External Intelligence Service), Ministry of Defence
- 2007-2010: Advisor (Subsaharan Africa) at the Diplomatic Cabinet, Office of the President
- 2006-2007: Deputy Director for Africa at the French Development Agency (AFD)
- 2004-2006: Director of Southern Africa and Indian Ocean -MFA
- 2002-2004: Advisor in the Private Office of the Minister for Cooperation and the Francophonie
- 2000-2002: First Secretary in Washington, DC
- 1999-2000: Exchange Diplomat at the State Department in Washington, DC (Bureau of European Affairs)
- 1997-1999: First counsellor (Deputy Head of Mission) in Bangui
- 1994-1996: Desk Officer at the Department of African and Malagasy Affairs (Chad, Cameroon, Central African Republic)
- Mars 1994: Joined the French Foreign Ministry
- 1992-1993: Cultural Attaché (National Service Volunteer) at the French Embassy in Dar Es Salaam.